In a globalised work world, understanding and working with diversity has become a key driver of success. As organisations cross borders both north/south and west/east understanding and working with different cultures has become essential. Most people understand this but still find developing a diverse workforce difficult. One of the main reasons for this is the effect that unconscious bias has on recruitment and leadership.
As humans we all hold both conscious and unconscious biases to difference. Current evolutionary and anthropological research shows that these biases are both neurologically, psychologically and culturally ingrained. These biases are in fact thought to be one of the reasons we have prospered as a species.
Hough & Associates, an Organisational development consultancy, have been running diversity sensitivity and unconscious bias training globally for the past 10 years.
Our training programs follow a group format and includes:
- The business case for diversity
- Introduction to the neurobiology of bias
- Exposure to the full range of diversity issues we face
- Identification of individual biases
- Group exercises to lower these biases
- Practical work on recruitment, leadership and mitigating our biases
- Diversity problem solving techniques